Hackney is one of the UK’s highest performing local authorities, serving one of London’s best places to live and work. We have achieved a huge amount of which we can be very proud; our services, our schools and our public spaces are all among the very best.
- Hackney was voted ‘Council of the past 20 years’ at the 2016 Local Government Chronicle Awards
- Hackney is proud to be a London Living Wage employer
- Hackney’s population is estimated at 273,526 people, but is estimated to rise to 310,000 people by 2028
- In 2015, 88% of respondents to a residents’ survey conducted by Ipsos MORI said they were satisfied with their local area as a place to live. This was up from 71% in 2008
Live in Hackney? Work in Hackney
Around a quarter of our staff enjoy the benefits of living and working in Hackney. One thing they often say is that they are so proud to serve the borough they live in, they couldn’t imagine working anywhere else.
We’ve got a prime location – on your doorstep! It only takes around 40 minutes to walk to the Hackney Central campus from the furthest part of the borough, and we are well served by bus and Overground networks.
We welcome local people who are passionate about making Hackney a better place to live, whatever they do for a living.
We also run a number of employment programmes and services for Hackney residents:
- Hackney Works is our free Employment service for Hackney residents: whether you’re looking for your first job, you want to progress further, or you’ve been out of work for a while, our advisers can help you to achieve your goals.
- Our Supported Employment team provide free support for residents with a disability or health condition to find work
- Our Hackney 100 work experience programme and our award-winning Apprenticeship Programme are open to Hackney residents, people educated in Hackney, and people who have used Hackney’s Leaving Care services