Complaints procedure

Raising your complaint

A child's parent, carer or any person who has been provided with a service at the school can register a complaint. By law, governing bodies must have a complaints procedure in place.

You can raise a complaint with a member of school staff either:

  • in person
  • by telephone
  • in writing

You will need to be clear about what your complaint or what your concerns are

  • Is this having any effect on your child?
  • If this relates to an incident; when and where did the incident happen; who else was involved; did anyone see it happen; who was this reported to?
  • What do you think needs to happen to resolve your concern or complaint?

Formal complaints

We do not settle complaints about the services a school provides. Schools, however, are required by law to have procedures in place for handling complaints. Speak to the school or go to their website to find out what their procedure is.

Complaints about Hackney Education services

If your complaint is about a service we provide, there is a separate procedure to follow. Go to Hackney Council - Complaints

Help and advice with your complaint

Officers in our Admissions and Pupil Benefits Team can provide advice and guidance to schools, parents and complainants on the procedures. You can call the team on 020 8820 7000 (option 9).


Any complaint brought to the Headteacher that suggests that a child has been at risk of:

  • violence
  • emotional abuse
  • sexual interference
  • neglect

may be referred to Hackney Social Services and/or to the social services authority for the area the child lives. If social services decides to investigate, this may delay or replace the school investigation. Please email or call 020 8356 5500.

This page was last modified on: 23 May 2024