About the board
The Hackney Schools Group Board (HSGB) plays an important role in the strategic direction for Hackney education. We want to see the Hackney family of schools continue to work together, developing the best possible provision for all our children and young people.
The board brings together representatives from schools across the borough, as well as independent experts, to provide a long term steer to system and school improvement in Hackney.
It acts as an advisory board to the Director of Education, involving a broad range of voices and opinions in shaping improvement in education. It will involve headteachers in steering local policy; it will facilitate schools and professionals working closely together to share and grow expertise.
Members of the board
The make-up of the board is:
- 3 Headteachers (from any Hackney school or academy)
- 2 Chairs of Governors (from any Hackney school or academy)
- 4-6 independent experts
- Lead Member for Education (London Borough of Hackney)
- One other Councillor (appointed by the Mayor of Hackney)
- Director of Education (Hackney Education)
- Group Director Children, Adults and Community Health (Hackney Council)
A series of panels will look at specific areas to feed into the Hackney Schools Group Board. The themes are enhancing belonging for all, reading for all, and leadership on school curricula and research.
In July and August 2020, The HSGB Panel, Belonging for All, carried out two very important pieces of work:
- Leading in a New Era, a research work with 6 Headteachers of Hackney Schools, led by Professor Kathryn Riley. The project explored aspects of their leadership approach, their responses to lockdown and reflecting on the implications for the future of school leadership.
- Listening to Parents and Carers Talking about Race - The Chair of the HSGB and Co-Chairs of the Belonging Panel carried out parental engagement sessions with 6 volunteer schools in Hackney. The conversations on race and racism resulted in parents speaking openly about their and their children's experiences. The sessions also provided a new way for the schools to engage with their parents.
The Board will hold a series of seminars that are designed to be thought provoking, uplifting and focused on generating ideas.
- Headteacher seminar, 13 May 2021. Anthony Anaxagorou, poet and performer, spoke about his thoughts on race and belonging. Watch his discussion and performance and view the seminar resources.
Programmes on belonging
The Hackney Schools Group Board Belonging Panel launched two programmes for Hackney schools in 2021:
- Talking to parents about race
These sessions discuss the topic of race and belonging in schools. You can read the previous programme findings.
- Creating the conditions for school belonging
This programme helps teachers and pupils from 20 schools develop the skills to research the topic of belonging in the classroom.
Find out more information in the Board newsletter.