Family support services
Families requiring support can be referred to the children’s centre multi-disciplinary team. This team will help with any problems. The team includes Family Support Workers, Health Visitors, Nursery Nurses, Portage Workers and Social Workers. If you would like to find out more about the support available, you can ask your Midwife, Health visitor or drop into your local children's centre. Professionals wishing to refer a family to the Multi Agency Team (MAT) should complete the Early Help Request for Support Form and email it to MATcoordinator@hackney.gov.uk
In addition, the Hackney Family Information Service (FIS) offers free, impartial advice and information on childcare, paying for childcare, funded places for 2-4 year olds as well as information and advice on local services and activities for children and families.
- Telephone 020 8820 7590, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit the FIS Facebook, Instagram or Twitter pages
- View the FIS leaflet (PDF)
- Make an appointment to meet us in person
We understand that new parents need support. In this video, GPs, health visitors, paediatricians and children's centres come together to explain the resources that are available to new parents.
Children and families consultation line
If you are unsure what support a child and family needs, or whether you should make a referral to Hackney Children and Families Services Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH), please contact MASH for advice.
- Telephone 0208 356 5500, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
- Telephone the Emergency Duty Team outside of office hours 020 8356 2710
- Email MASH@hackney.gov.uk
All decisions in MASH about the most appropriate next steps for a child and family are made in line with the Hackney child wellbeing framework.
Parenting programmes are available that:
- support stressed or isolated parents
- support families to provide the best possible start in life for babies and children
- help parents to support their child’s learning
- promote positive relationships between parents and their children
The FIS has produced information about the full range of parenting support services available.
Due to the current Covid-19 situation, we are expecting more parenting programmes to return, either online or in person. Information regarding parenting programmes will be updated on this page as we are notified.
Local services for birth to five years
Our journey from birth to five years provides trusted, age related and local information. It helps you to find your path through the many local activities and services available to support you and your family in Hackney, and to ensure that your child is happy, healthy and ready to learn.
- View the our journey birth to five resources
Hackney Local offer: Hackney's Local Offer website sets out information about services and support available for children and young people with special educational needs and/or disability (SEND) who are aged 0 to 25. It also offers more general information on childcare and family support.
- Go to the Local Offer website
Hackney Find Support Services Map: This map displays voluntary and community organisations offering help to Hackney’s diverse community, especially to those who are affected by coronavirus.
- Go to the Find Support Services Map