What is it?
The Re-engagement Unit (REU) is a service that supports and advises schools. The aim of the service is to provide support for children whose behaviour means they are having difficulty engaging with their learning.
The REU works with the child, the teachers, the family and other professionals to help make a real change for the child. We all have different experiences working with schools - there are teachers, learning mentors and family support workers on our team. The REU is also supported by a clinician from the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service. Any member of the team could observe your child or be involved with supporting them.
Why would my child's school refer to the REU?
- The school may be concerned about your child’s behaviour or academic progress
- The school may want some fresh advice and ideas about how to support your child
- The REU may offer specific interventions that the school feels will support your child
What do we do?
- A lead worker will be allocated to the case. They will be the main point of contact for you and the school
- The worker will start by getting to know your child and their needs. They will observe them at different times of the school day and meet them 1:1. They might ask questions like ‘Are they finding certain aspects of school difficult?’, ‘Are they having trouble with their friendships?’ and ‘Are they finding their learning tricky?’. This helps us to understand what aspects of life they might need help with
- The worker will contact you because we know that the people who understand the children the best are their parents and carers. We like to work as a team to make sure that there is real, lasting change for the child
- Using the knowledge gained about your child, we will make a plan together. The plan might include some 1:1 work with the child, group work or some extra support in class
- Our involvement lasts for 8 weeks. We review the plan regularly, always making sure to celebrate all the successes
How to find out more
If you have any questions about our service, please don’t hesitate to contact us.