What is it?
The Re-engagement Unit (REU) is a service that supports and advises children, families and schools. The aim of the service is to enable all children to be happy and to achieve well in school. We will only work with your child, family and your child’s teachers with your consent - you do not have to give this immediately, you can meet us and have a chat with us first and then decide what you would like to do.
The REU works with the child, the teachers, the family and other professionals to help make a real change for the child. The REU is made up of workers from many different professional backgrounds: teachers; learning mentors; family support workers amongst others. The REU is also supported by a clinician from the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS). We believe this mix of skill sets enables us to provide you and your child with the best support possible, and that we can tailor our work to really suit your individual needs.
Why would my child's school refer to the REU?
- The school may want to provide some additional support for your child’s transition into secondary school
- The school may be concerned about your child’s behaviour or academic progress
- The REU may offer specific interventions that schools feel will support your child (friendships, managing emotions)
What do we do?
- A lead worker will be allocated to the case. They will be the main point of contact for you and the school.
- The worker will start by getting to know your child and their needs. They will observe them at different times of the school day and meet them one to one. They might ask questions like:
- ‘Are they finding certain aspects of school difficult?’
- ‘Are they having trouble with their friendships?’
- ‘Are they finding their learning tricky?’
This helps us to understand what aspects of life they might need help with.
- The worker will contact you because we know that the people who understand the children the best are their parents and carers. We like to work as a team to make sure that there is real, lasting change for the child
- Using the knowledge gained about your child, we will make a plan together. The plan might include some one to one work with the child, group work or some extra support in class
How to find out more
If you have any questions about our service, please don’t hesitate to contact us.