A colloborative approach to a shared journey
Parents as Partners highlights the importance of Hackney schools, Hackney Education and parents and carers working together.
We had an online conference and all parents and carers in Hackney were welcome to attend, particularly those from the black community, parents of young black men, and other ethnic communities who may have felt the impact of this past year the hardest.
We were keen to hear your thoughts after a 'Year Like No Other' as cited in a recent IMF report about the impact of COVID and how we can rebuild a better future.
There were a range of workshops available and you can access the presentation slides (PDF).
Cllr Bramble, Deputy Mayor
Annie Gammon, Director of Education
Airmail to a Dictionary
On the night of the Parents as Partners conference we wanted to share the work of the Young Black Men Project in Hackney. Importantly we wanted to highlight the multi generational contributions that celebrate cultural strengths and their positive impact on our Borough and the UK.
Please watch the video made for the event which is a performance of Lemn Sissay's powerful poem: Airmail to a Dictionary. We would like to thank all of the men and young people who contributed to the making of this video that celebrates the Young Black Men Project.
Resources of interest
- Lit in colour report
- Teaching and talking to kids about race
- Parental engagement
- HSGB Listening to parents and carers talking about race
Ted talks/youtube videos
- Every Kid Needs a Champion by Rita Pierson
- What does diversity mean and why is it important in English Literature?
- Dr. Robin DiAngelo discusses 'White Fragility'
- A learning guide to Antiracist Baby
- How to be Anti-Racist by Dr Muna Abdi
- We need to talk about the British Empire by Afua Hirsch
- How to become a better ally with Nita Mosby Tyler
- Dear Mum and Dad - please stick with me
- A is for Activist by Innosanto Nagara
- My Skin, Your Skin available to preorder
- Behaviour Basics for Parents by Tracey Campbell
- Raising Antiracist Children
- 100 Great Black Britons
- This Book is Anti-Racist
- BAMEd book list
- Young Lit Stars - publishes beautiful black books written by beautiful black children aged 6 to 15