Consultation on school admission arrangements for the school year beginning September 2024
When is the consultation?
The consultation opens on Monday 7 November and closes on Sunday 18 December 2022.
What is this consultation about?
We want to know what you think about the admission arrangements for schools in Hackney for the academic year starting in September 2024 and finishing in July 2025.
The proposed admission arrangements are available to read and download/print at the bottom of this page.
The admission arrangements outline:
- how schools decide which pupils obtain priority for school places (the “oversubscription criteria”)
- how Hackney Education will manage applications for Reception, Year 7 and In Year admissions (the “schemes of coordination”)
- the admission numbers for schools in Hackney (i.e. how many places each school will offer)
Who is involved in the consultation?
Hackney Education and any own admitting authority school must consult the following groups:
- parents of children between the ages of 2 and 18
- other persons in the area who have an interest in the proposed arrangements
- all other admission authorities within the local area
- the local authority (Hackney Education)
- any adjoining neighbouring local authorities
- any local faith organisation (if a faith school)
Hackney Education is the admission authority for all community schools in Hackney. For voluntary aided schools (schools with a religious character) the admission authority is the governing body. For academies and free schools the academy trust (proprietor) is the admission authority.
What are the changes?
Admission Arrangements for Community Primary Schools and Sixth Form
- Updates to point 1, 2 and 4 in the 'Notes' section
Admission Arrangements for Community Secondary Schools
- Updates to point 1, 2 and 4 in the 'Notes' section
- Addition of a table for clarification of banding
- Addition of point 5 in the 'Notes' section
Explanatory Notes and definitions
- Update to the ‘Multiple Birth’ section
- Updates to the process for children applying outside their normal age group
- Update to the ‘Waiting List’ section
- Addition of sections regarding age of admission, home address, applying from overseas, In Year admissions and Fair Access
Scheme to coordinate In Year admissions
- Update to point 7 and 8 regarding overseas applications
- Update to point 18 regarding looked after children
Schemes to coordinate Reception & Year 7 admissions
- Addition of point 37 (point 36 for Reception) regarding late preferences after national offer day
- Update to point 45 (point 44 for Reception) regarding new preferences from non-Hackney residents after national offer day
- Update to point 48 (point 47 for Reception) regarding new offers after national offer day
- Update to point 49 (point 48 for Reception) regarding new preferences from Hackney residents after national offer day
- Update to point 50 (point 49 for Reception) regarding the move to In Year admissions
Voluntary Aided Schools and Academies (admitting authority school)
The following voluntary aided schools and academies are also proposing changes to their admission arrangements:
- Skinners' Academy
- St Dominic's Catholic Primary School
- St Scholastica's Catholic Primary School
- The Bridge Academy
The Olive School, Hackney is running their own consultation. Please visit the school website for further information.
How do I give my feedback?
To respond to Hackney Education’s consultation please submit your comments using our online feedback form.
Comments about voluntary aided schools, academies and free schools can also be sent directly to the schools concerned.
Other Admissions Consultations
We have also been notified that the following local authorities and schools are consulting on their admission arrangements for 2024/25:
- The Olive School - Hackney - closes 20 January 2023
- Ealing - community schools - closes 24 December 2022
- Ealing - own admitting authority schools - closes 24 December 2022
- St Ignatius College, Enfield - closes 16 January 2023
- Haringey - closes 6 January 2023
- Islington - closes 30 November 2022
- City of London Academy, Islington - closes 31 January 2023
- St Joan of Arc Catholic Primary School - Islington - closes 24 January 2023
- St Jude and St Paul's Church of England School, Islington - closes 12 January 2023
- Kensington and Chelsea - closes 23 December 2022
- Lambeth - closes 29 January 2023
- Upton Cross Primary School - Newham - closes 13 December 2022
- Newham - 31 January 2023
- Redbridge - closes 20 December 2022
- Tower Hamlets - closes 24 November 2022
- Longshaw Primary Academy - Waltham Forest - closes 12 December 2022
- Eden Girls’ School - Waltham Forest - closes 20 January 2023
- Westminster - closes 23 December 2022
What happens after consultation?
All schools and academies must consider any consultation comments, finalise and publish their admission arrangements for the 2024/25 academic year online by 15 March 2023.
The published 2024-25 arrangements for all Hackney schools and academies will be available in the online school directory and on individual school websites after 15 March 2023.
Hackney Education’s published schemes of coordination for Reception, Year 7 and In Year admissions for 2024-25 will also be available on the admission arrangements page after 15 March 2023.
You may raise an objection with the Schools Adjudicator to the published admission arrangements of any school or academy, or the local authority's schemes of coordination, if you feel that they do not comply with the Code, are unfair or unlawful. Objections must be referred to the adjudicator by 15 May 2023.