Your child can get a school uniform grant if they are transferring from primary (Year 6) to secondary school (Year 7). To qualify, you must be a Hackney resident and getting one of the benefits below:
- Income support
- Income-based jobseeker’s allowance
- Child tax credit, and getting no more than £16,190 a year
- Working tax credit, getting no more than £16,190 a year
- Guarantee element of pension credit, or
- Income-related employment and support allowance
- Universal Credit with a net earnings threshold of £15,400 a year
How to apply
Apply once you have accepted the secondary school transfer offer from Hackney Education. Eligible applicants can expect to receive their grant prior to the start of term if they apply before 30 June. The school uniform grant is still available for current Year 7 pupils who have started secondary school from September and meet the eligibility criteria above.
Children with No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF)
If you do not currently qualify for support and are experiencing financial difficulty, please contact the following agencies who may be able to advise or assist you
- Your child's school
- Hackney Migrant Centre - To book an appointment: Call 07961 014182 Mondays, 10am to 12:30pm only
- Haringey Migrant Support Centre - currently assisting existing clients
- Project 17: Call 07963 509044
- Refugee Women's Association: Call 0207 923 2412
- Family Action: Call 020 7254 6251
How is the grant paid?
We pay the grant of £100 directly to your bank account. Applications for children starting secondary school in September will be processed from May 2023 therefore the earliest you should expect to hear about your application is mid May.
We aim to process applications for children already in Year 7 within 10 working days of receiving your application. Please understand that there may be some delay at peak times due to the high volume of applications received.