Soon after the birth of your baby, around day 10 to 14, a Health Visitor will make contact to offer to meet you at home. This is an opportunity to review together how you and your infant are doing and ensure you have the support you need during these early weeks with your new baby.
COVID-19 update: Some of the appointments which are listed as face to face appointments may take place over the phone as a temporary measure.
Why is it important?
The new birth visit which is part of the Healthy Child programme is offered to all new parents by a health visitor (a qualified nurse who has undertaken additional training in public health and child welfare, 0-5 years).
This contact is an opportunity for you to talk about your experiences of parenthood, including your emotional health, your baby’s health and welfare and your family environment/social support.
Your health visitor will also provide you with information about services in the Hackney and City area, including Children Centres and family support services. They will also help you to agree a plan of support suitable for you and your baby (this may include additional contact(s) or access to other health services including well baby clinics).
First point of contact
The Health Visiting service works closely with midwifery services and GP practices to ensure that they can contact you 10 and 14 days after your baby’s birth. This service is offered to all children from birth until 5 years of age.
Local services and information
- Hackney and City Health Visiting service
020 7683 4151 (9-5pm Monday–Friday)
- Get help for your mental health (Talk Changes)
- Parenting and mental health support for children, young people and their families
- Hackney Support for Early Years (Local Offer)
- Local breastfeeding information and advice - updated March 2020
- Find a Children's Centre in Hackney
Useful Hackney and City Health Visiting web pages
- Your appointments
- Becoming a parent
- Your physical health
- Your emotional health and well being
- Baby cues
- Your baby's health and development reviews (NHS)
- Your baby's height and weight (NHS)
- Start 4 Life (Baby)
- Physical activity for woman after childbirth poster
- Coping with sleep deprivation video (Lullaby Trust)
We value your feedback about the birth to five resource and the information we provide.