Apply for a place after the start of the school year

How to apply

If you are moving to Hackney as a new arrival to the UK, you cannot apply until you are resident in the borough. You must come to the Hackney Education office with the child/children to complete the application form and provide identification as well as proof of address. For those families returning to the UK, having previously lived in Hackney, you can apply up to six weeks before arrival as Local Authorities will accept applications from parents with a right of abode if they can provide evidence that they are planning a return/arrival to the United Kingdom.

Satisfactory evidence of a return/arrival should include a combination of the following, although this list may not be exhaustive:

  • A written statement from the parent(s) of their intention to return to/enter the United Kingdom, giving their reasons and an expected date
  • Termination of a work contract abroad
  • Sale/notice of rental of property abroad
  • Notice to existing tenants to terminate the tenancy of an owned property in the United Kingdom
  • Completion of purchase of property in the United Kingdom
  • Tenancy/Mortgage of property in the United Kingdom
  • Copy of work contract within the United Kingdom
  • Confirmation of study arrangements within the United Kingdom
  • Confirmation of travel arrangements

However, whilst an application can be accepted under these circumstances, a United Kingdom address will only be used once the child is residing at that address, and evidence will be required of this.

Your application will be processed at the next allocation process period. Please do not contact us during this time as we will not have any further information. We will send you a letter to let you know the outcome of your application. Please note that your preferred schools may not have vacancies in your child's year group. If this is the case we will advise you of the schools with places available.

In-year applications will not be considered any earlier than six weeks before an anticipated arrival in the United Kingdom. Please note if a place was to be offered, the place cannot be reserved for children who are not ready to take up their place at a school and as a result the offer will be withdrawn.


Admissions and Pupil Benefits Team

020 8820 7000 (option 3)

Our office at Reading Lane (including the 2nd Floor Reception) is currently closed

This page was last modified on: 18 Aug 2020