Being the parent of a child approaching aged two can be exciting and challenging at the same time.
Why is it important?
Age 1-2 years is an important time for your child’s development when your toddler’s brain and body are developing very quickly. The activities they do with you, the number and type of words they hear and how their feelings are responded to by adults who are special to them will help to develop their confidence when they become adults.
Around the age of two, young children may want to have more independence, though they are still dependent, which can lead to frustrations and tantrums. For example, your child may begin to develop strong likes and dislikes such as a favourite toy, dislike of foods which they will try to tell you about but may not yet have the language to fully express this in words.
First point of contact
Your health visitor can help you to understand why your child may be having tantrums and help you to think about ways to manage their emotional needs. You may also be able to access some of the family support services in the area including a free parenting programme.
Local services and information
There are many places in Hackney where you can go with your 1-2 year old. Your local Children’s Centre and library will have play sessions and other information about playing and learning activities in the area.
- Health Visiting Service
- Parenting and mental health support for children, young people and their families
- Emotional regulation and tantrums
- Get help with mealtimes and your toddler’s eating habits
- Contact the Healthy Families team on 07519 109876
Finding and paying for childcare
Children aged 2–4yrs may be able to get free childcare for 15 hours or 30 hours a week, most Hackney providers offer free childcare places for eligible 2 year-olds and all 3 & 4 year-olds. Find out if you are eligible for free childcare. There are also other ways to get help with paying for childcare
For childcare enquiries contact Hackney Family Information Service on 0208 8207590 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- COVID-19 resource - helping babies and young children through coronavirus leaflet
- Helping your child with everyday emotions films
- Tempers and tears leaflet
- Separations and changes leaflet
- COVID-19 resource - supporting your child's return to nursery/childcare-leaflet
- Five steps to help you choose childcare
We value your feedback about the birth to five resource and the information we provide.